Wednesday, February 15, 2012

Day 104 - Mayan Seas - Point Bennett - Duane Strosaker Design

It’s been so long since I posted on this blog that I’d almost forgotten how. In fact, August 4th 2009 was the last post of the 100 Boats challenge which was actually the 103rd day in a row that I’d test paddled boats that year. The months/year following the 100 Boats challenge brought huge changes in my life with a move home back in Wisconsin. Before getting settled in to life back home, however, I got involved with an adventure that took me on a 5000+ mile loop around the eastern US by kayak. (The Ikkuma 17 by Seda if you’re wondering).

This week an interesting series of events brought me to San Diego. Then, yesterday, with an impromptu trip to Tijuana Mexico to retrieve a kayak for a friend, I ended up with a brand new boat to try out. Seems how I was going to be on the water with Aqua Adventures Wednesday Morning Paddle” I figured I’d dust off the keyboard and post another review.

Designed by Southern California paddler Duane Strosaker, the Point Bennett is now being manufactured in fiberglass by Mayan Seas (and with Duane’s permission comes with a drop skeg). After paddling with Duane for years with numerous long distance crossings to the Channel Islands, I am quite familiar with the Point Bennett, especially by seeing it from the outside. This morning was the first time I paddled one for more than a few minutes at a kayak club picnic.

The Point Bennett was designed by Duane to fit Duane. Thankfully I am about the same height and build (5’-10” 165lbs.) and the boat fits me like a glove. Folks that range much bigger than that may feel a bit cramped in the low decked cockpit. I’d like to see Mayan develop a “high volume” version to fit larger paddlers.

In the four foot swell and off shore wind we experienced this morning the boat handled like a dream. The Point Bennett has little trouble holding a line in a crossing wind. In fact, the way Duane builds them without a skeg, all he has to do to correct for weather cocking is weight the stern with a small bag full of water. Those of us who appreciate modern technology can also appreciate the fact that the Mayan Seas version of the Point Bennett comes with a drop skeg. I learned quickly this morning that it takes VERY little skeg to fine tune the boat and keep it in line.

With a request from Duane to keep it off the rocks I ran a very conservative line along the jetty today still enjoying a little help by catching a few rides on the incoming swell. I only wish I had time to take it out for a long paddle on open water where it truly excels.

The Point Bennett was designed and refined by a man that has spent more time on the water than anybody I know. It’s a fun boat to paddle and can take an able paddler as far as they choose to go.

Point Bennett Review
Manufacturer = Mayan Seas
Brand = Mayan Seas
Model = Point Bennett
Type = Sea Kayak
Material = Fiberglass
Length = 17'-6"
Width = 21.25"
Weight = 52.9 lbs.

Location = Mission Bay - Ocean Beach Pier with the Wednesday Morning Group
Time = 7:00 AM
Distance = aprox 3 miles
Duration = 1:20
Avg. Speed = N/A
Conditions = Partly cloudy and a bit chilly by San Deigo standards

No comments:

Post a Comment